One of the very limited things in the IAQ business that can be fatal is carbon monoxide. This means you should be aware about how to avoid Carbon Monoxide (CO) in your home. Any fuel burning appliance that is malfunctioning or improperly installed or not inspected and maintained can be a source of CO. These can include a gas range/stove, furnaces, gas clothes dryer, water heater, gas or wood fireplaces, wood-burning stove and the auto exhaust from an attached garage. Initial symptoms are similar to the flu with no fever. Dizziness, fatigue/weakness, throbbing headache, nausea, vomiting, irregular breathing, sleepiness and confusion can all be possible symptoms.
Low Level Carbon monoxide exposure can easily be misdiagnosed unless you have a Low Level CO monitor or medical personnel who can get a blood sample in time to see elevated CO in the blood stream; it changes rapidly when you are removed from the CO source area.
Do you have a measure of safety or protection for your family? There are two options – the first, which is an inexpensive and unwise option, is a cheap CO alarm which has up to 4 full hours to give a signal or alert after dangerous levels have been exceeded in the home. (70 parts per million – ppm) A CO Alarm can reach 70 PPM for 4 hours before it’s required to go off and if the indoor space gets ventilated after 3 hours, it starts the count down all over again! Yikes! You may never get any warning or a serious or dangerous condition that can exist inside your home.
The second option, the smart thing to do for your family’s health and safety, is to get a low level CO monitor that will start to alert you at the onset of carbon monoxide exposure. A low level CO monitor can give alerts when the level reaches a concern like 20 parts per million (ppm)
And get this, most Fire Department regulations will not allow a fire fighter to enter a building if CO levels are above 35 ppm. Your cheap CO alarm will allow those levels without you ever knowing. Statistics from the American Medical Association (AMA) show approximately 2,100 people die each year from CO poisoning or exposure. Often called “The Silent Killer” CO is a tasteless, colorless & odorless poison.
If you would like a FREE report or more information about Carbon Monoxide, CO alarms & Low Level Monitors, please call us today or go to our consumer education link to down load a free report. If you have small children or elderly folks in the home and you aren’t sure, don’t take a chance.